Unlock a proactive software strategy for your digital home equipment
Are you a service provider or Wi-Fi customer premises equipment (CPE) manufacturer looking to bring easy-to-install devices and new, innovative services to your customers quickly and cost-effectively?
IOWRT is a Commercial Open-Source Software that merges technology from the OpenWrt* community with carrier-grade requirements from the Broadband and IoT industries. The result? A versatile gateway software that works seamlessly across different platforms.
IOWRT is the most flexible and innovative open-source operating system (OS) for broadband and IoT devices on the market.
*OpenWrt is a trademark owned by Software in the Public Interest, Inc.
Standardized and scalable
With IOWRT, you can build your own unified CPE software layer to suit specific customer requirements.
Key elements in IOWRT:
- Security hardened
- Certified and qualified by large operators
- Hardware and access technology agnostic
- Built around open standards
- Well architectured container support for 3rd party applications
- Lifecycle Management (LCM) Support
- Easy Mesh ready
- Triple play services
- VoIP over IP supporting POTS and DECT
- Wi-Fi hotspot
Open and proven
IOWRT is used on multiple vendors’ chipsets (SoC) and CPE manufacturers’ hardware. The number of multi-play operators deploying gateways with IOWRT is steadily increasing and currently amounts to more than 25 across various markets. The total number of residential gateways running IOWRT is approximately one million. With IOWRT, we combine the best from the open source community with carrier-grade requirements from the gateway industry.
The IOWRT software suite
- Broadband connectivity such as DSL, G.Fast, Active Ethernet, PON and LTE
- Wi-Fi hotspot
- IPTV & Media
- Well-proven carrier grade, open-source software
- The market’s most responsive and intuitive GUI
- Full operator management enables efficient operational procedures and optimizes end-user support responses
- High reliability & rich feature set increases end-user satisfaction
- Secure access to home network
- Hardware agnostic, enabling full hardware vendor flexibility while enjoying the benefits of a unified software layer
- Committed roadmap with regular system releases, maintenance releases and security updates
Depending on where you are as a CSP, you are better positioned to compete if you have a much more open system. You can’t be competitive in a fast-moving landscape if you buy software from a vendor where it’s not open-source, and you can’t impact the code
We wanted to develop features and functionalities over the lifetime of a product, and we were aware that we couldn’t do everything ourselves. Open-source is the right choice for us.
Today, many service providers and gateway manufacturers share common challenges in sustaining siloed software platforms for their hardware. Relying on proprietary software has many hidden costs to consider.
I saw that OpenWrt is a perfect base for our gateway; all the basics are already in place with a good operating system we could use. We have the ability to put our application on top.
The buzz right now is around containers and an app-enabled ‘smart gateway’. While we’ve always been advocates of this model (we’ve had an app-store for IOWRT for nearly 10 years), the hardware, memory, and operator resources are finally there to realize this.
To take full advantage of an open-source operating system, consider a software platform instead of individual siloed software for each device....
Most of us are gearing up for some well-deserved summer holidays. While you are relaxing, here are tips from our colleagues at IOPSYS as inspiration...
According to the latest number from Wi-Fi Alliance, 19.5 billion Wi-Fi devices are in use. What’s in store for Wi-Fi in smart homes? How can...
Subscribe to news
Get news, articles, insights, and discussions about rugged computing technology for demanding environments, straight to your inbox by submitting your email.